“I don’t think anybody’s life is quite as smooth sailing as social media would have us believe.”
This week in support of World Mental Health Day (Monday 10 October) we welcome Clinical Psychologist Professor Roz Shafran, co-author of the brilliant book “How to Cope When Your Child Can’t”.
Parenthood can often be far from smooth sailing, especially if your child is unwell, experiencing challenges or has additional needs. So how can parents juggling work and raising their family ensure they look after their own mental health and thrive during these difficult times?
Roz and Verena talk honestly about strategies to help parents cope and Verena shares her personal story of managing being a CEO whilst her young son was admitted to the hospital 7 times over a 6 month period.
- What to do with your big career aspirations when your child is poorly
- How to make tough decisions and look after yourself when your child is struggling
- How to carve out time that’s for you
- Why what works isn’t one size fits all
- ‘Mustabation’ and why it will grind you down
We hope you enjoy the conversation. Remember, speaking out about your struggles isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s a sign of strength. Support can be found via Mind.
If you’d like to submit a question to the Big Careers, Small Children podcast please record it here https://www.speakpipe.com/BigCareersSmallChildren