“In practice there’s always a bit of wriggle room for individual discussions and individual negotiations about pay.”
This week we are joined by pay expert, lecturer, HR leader and Leaders Plus Fellowship Alumni Dr Lisa Grover.
Lisa is a Senior Lecturer in Degree Apprenticeships at the University of Exeter Business School and is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to practical advice on preparing for negotiations on pay.
Our conversation includes:
- Tips on preparing well for pay negotiations
- Her experience sitting in the HR Chair
- The different pay structures within organisations
- Why in practice there’s often wriggle room for individual discussions
- Why you’re in a strong position when you enter a new company
- Retention payments: what are they and how to get them
- Why doing your research makes a big difference
- Going down to 4 days for the same level of pay
- Where to look for up-to-date pay information
- Making use of your networks
We hope you enjoy the conversation.
If you’d like to submit a question to the Big Careers, Small Children podcast please record it here https://www.speakpipe.com/BigCareersSmallChildren